Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Zombie Outbreak D20 system Rate Topic: -----

User is offline   Yukari 

• Worm Buffet
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIn my dungeon of a room
I was playing D&D with my girlfriend and another friend (DMing 3.5ed) and somehow we came up with the idea for a present day zombie outbreak. My only problem with this is that I have no knowledge about modern day d20 stuff.
We already have the story down pretty well but as the group DM they left the technical stuff solely to me.
I figured that near the beginning the zombies would be the shamblers and as the party advanced there would be more strains of the virus created allowing for variations on the zombies (leapers, ragers, certain animals, ect)
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Open your mind and let the horror flow forth

User is offline   JediSteve 

• Zombie Private

View PostYukari, on 31 August 2010 - 07:56 AM, said:

I was playing D&D with my girlfriend and another friend (DMing 3.5ed) and somehow we came up with the idea for a present day zombie outbreak. My only problem with this is that I have no knowledge about modern day d20 stuff.
We already have the story down pretty well but as the group DM they left the technical stuff solely to me.
I figured that near the beginning the zombies would be the shamblers and as the party advanced there would be more strains of the virus created allowing for variations on the zombies (leapers, ragers, certain animals, ect)
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

I've been trying to theory craft on how to do this for awhile. Let me know how it all works out in the end. "Modern Day" isn't really much different the normal D&D. My issue with creating a modern day campaign is i wouldn't know how you would scale the damage compared getting infected. And there is the issue of making the zombies challenging, but not too hard or too easy. But like i said, let me know how this campaign turns out. It would be greatly appreciated.
Gamertag: Ekyo666

User is offline   Yukari 

• Worm Buffet
Oddly, I lost the thread for a while. >_<
The campaign is still on hold until the lot of us can figure out what the heck were doing.
For the infection, I have the first strain infected by a parasite that lives in the host's saliva and is spread via bite.

See Toxoplasma gondii for further information.
http://www.corante.c...pet_masters.php

Since it is the first strain I figured there would be a fort save vs a say... 8 dc. if the pc fails then there is a slow and crippling(stat lowering) transformation. Kinda like the (i think) faceless hate disease from the bovd (book of vile darkness dnd 3.0/3.5)
My main problem is how to create the world area and the feats. The zombies themselves aren't that challenging, but combine a zombie group (3d6+4) in various places in a supermarket and said pcs there will be some un-expected difficulties for both dm and players. try making an inventory of your local grocer and what the players can make from it.
So we have zombies, paranoid survivors armed to the teeth, the standard crazies, and other such stuffs. The zombies are the least of the worries.

• Zombie Private

View PostYukari, on 06 September 2010 - 07:28 AM, said:

Oddly, I lost the thread for a while. >_<
The campaign is still on hold until the lot of us can figure out what the heck were doing.
For the infection, I have the first strain infected by a parasite that lives in the host's saliva and is spread via bite.

See Toxoplasma gondii for further information.
http://www.corante.c...pet_masters.php

Since it is the first strain I figured there would be a fort save vs a say... 8 dc. if the pc fails then there is a slow and crippling(stat lowering) transformation. Kinda like the (i think) faceless hate disease from the bovd (book of vile darkness dnd 3.0/3.5)
My main problem is how to create the world area and the feats. The zombies themselves aren't that challenging, but combine a zombie group (3d6+4) in various places in a supermarket and said pcs there will be some un-expected difficulties for both dm and players. try making an inventory of your local grocer and what the players can make from it.
So we have zombies, paranoid survivors armed to the teeth, the standard crazies, and other such stuffs. The zombies are the least of the worries.

Wow this looks like a really cool campaign dude. IMO you have the hardest parts figured out. World wise though, it depends on how much the virus has killed the population, also it depends on how far the infection has been going on. And personally i would just base the "world" on where you currently live, or based in a town near by. Or maybe based in the city where you grew up.

User is offline   Yukari 

• Worm Buffet
I've always had that problem in the past. I get the difficult stuff instantly but on the stuff that should be simple, I break apart.
This is what we have so far:
the pcs are in collage at a Halloween party.

Due to said party the campus grounds are locked up to keep outsiders away.

Science section is doing studies on a odd type of parasite, deciding that the tests were not fruitful enough the scientists use a human test subject. Considering the high amount of people present for party they decided it would be perfect time for experiment.

party is in gym. a “student” comes in as a zombie. (s)he does not know (s)he’s infected hangs out with friends, turns then proceeds to munch, others think its a show and pay no mind, until its too late.

*misc* person dressed elvis was taking a poo when he turned. Bonus he’s a fat guy. possibly a teacher.
he’s a chaperone. eating chicken legs on toilet.

The students at the college have a Halloween tradition of calling the cops crying zombie. - This prevents the cops from coming to the rescue.

So to begin, the pcs have to figure out that its not just an elaborate prank.
Then they have to figure a way past the zombies and through the locked gates.
And then they have to figure out a way to contain the zombie outbreak inside the campus if they decided to force their way through the gates.

Thats the easy part. The hard part is going to be trying to foretell where the pcs will decide to go first. They're used to me making them think so they've become quite creative. While thats awesome during the session its a nightmare during the planning.
And yes, the inspiration for this campaign did hit after we watched an episode of hotd.

• Zombie Private

View PostYukari, on 07 September 2010 - 09:56 AM, said:

I've always had that problem in the past. I get the difficult stuff instantly but on the stuff that should be simple, I break apart.
This is what we have so far:
the pcs are in collage at a Halloween party.

Due to said party the campus grounds are locked up to keep outsiders away.

Science section is doing studies on a odd type of parasite, deciding that the tests were not fruitful enough the scientists use a human test subject. Considering the high amount of people present for party they decided it would be perfect time for experiment.

party is in gym. a “student” comes in as a zombie. (s)he does not know (s)he’s infected hangs out with friends, turns then proceeds to munch, others think its a show and pay no mind, until its too late.

*misc* person dressed elvis was taking a poo when he turned. Bonus he’s a fat guy. possibly a teacher.
he’s a chaperone. eating chicken legs on toilet.

The students at the college have a Halloween tradition of calling the cops crying zombie. - This prevents the cops from coming to the rescue.

So to begin, the pcs have to figure out that its not just an elaborate prank.
Then they have to figure a way past the zombies and through the locked gates.
And then they have to figure out a way to contain the zombie outbreak inside the campus if they decided to force their way through the gates.

Thats the easy part. The hard part is going to be trying to foretell where the pcs will decide to go first. They're used to me making them think so they've become quite creative. While thats awesome during the session its a nightmare during the planning.
And yes, the inspiration for this campaign did hit after we watched an episode of hotd.

Nice, i love that anime. Seems like you got it figured out, at least to the point where i cant help ya. Sorry /= but let me know how the campaign turns out. Seems like it going to be a lot of fun.

User is offline   Yukari 

• Worm Buffet
Now you do realize you're stuck being my idea checker, right? ^_^
I'll keep you informed but when i'm stumped i'll ask your opinion. okies?

To whom may want to run something like this but does not know where to begin I'm going to post my work for your benefit.

Here is what I have for the base zombie stats.

Size/Type: Medium Undead(student)
Hit Dice: 1D12+3
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30ft (cant run)
Armor Class: 11 (-1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+4
Attack: Slam melee(1d6+1) or Bite melee(1d4+1 + infection)
Full Attack: melee(1d6+1) or Bite melee(1d4+1 + infection)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Single actions only, damage reduction 5/slashing, undead traits, Double damage from called shots against the head. Unless slain via head shot will revive 20 minutes later. Infectious bite
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +0
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 11, Con 0, Int 0, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: Toughness
Environment: Any
Organization: Any
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: neutral evil
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: None

• Zombie Private

View PostYukari, on 08 September 2010 - 12:05 PM, said:

Now you do realize you're stuck being my idea checker, right? ^_^
I'll keep you informed but when i'm stumped i'll ask your opinion. okies?

To whom may want to run something like this but does not know where to begin I'm going to post my work for your benefit.

Here is what I have for the base zombie stats.

Size/Type: Medium Undead(student)
Hit Dice: 1D12+3
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30ft (cant run)
Armor Class: 11 (-1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+4
Attack: Slam melee(1d6+1) or Bite melee(1d4+1 + infection)
Full Attack: melee(1d6+1) or Bite melee(1d4+1 + infection)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Single actions only, damage reduction 5/slashing, undead traits, Double damage from called shots against the head. Unless slain via head shot will revive 20 minutes later. Infectious bite
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +0
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 11, Con 0, Int 0, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: Toughness
Environment: Any
Organization: Any
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: neutral evil
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: None

Thanks dude, this will come in handy.

User is offline   knarF 

• Zombie Captain
  • LocationEngland
You found a girlfriend who will play RPGs, damn you.
Mine plays Yu-Gi-Oh and Street Fighter card tourneys and still says that RPGs are too geeky for her :(

User is offline   Yukari 

• Worm Buffet
Shes the one who rides me about playing them!
I wanna play dnd, lets play dnd, when are we gonna play, are you almost done with that I wanna play.
:zombie2: Back rabid fangirl back!
Shes kinda below average when it comes to tcgs and console gaming but shes really good when it comes to dnd.

I'm trying to think of some feats and I am drawing a blank.
Anyone have any suggestions?

User is offline   Sluggo 

• Zombie Ensign
  • LocationNebraska
You could look around for a copy of the d20 modern. That,or Mongoose Publishing came out with a d20 version of Macho Women with Guns set in modern times.
If they ban guns, how will I fight the zombies?

User is offline   blacknirvana 

• Worm Buffet

View PostJediSteve, on 08 September 2010 - 11:06 PM, said:

Thanks dude, this will come in handy.

Why no treasure, shouldn't there be a some random variable determining what background the zombie had = what treasure thay (might) have, i.e. a "police zombie" might have a side arm, a "doctor zombie" might have some painkillers etc. Forgive me if I misunderstood something i haven't played D&D for a very long time (getting close to ten years I think)
"The undead are coming! Just you wait...."

User is offline   Yukari 

• Worm Buffet
The only reason there is no treasure is that this is the basic zombie. A.K.A naked human.
If I place a zombie specifically in a room as a zombified survivor then it will have some good treasure, a cop would possibly have a gun. For most people they wont carry very much considering they only have pockets.
I hope this makes things a little easier to understand.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users